Rotary movement on the territory of Ukraine existed before the second world war. The first Кotary Club was established in 1928 in Uzhgorod (at that time Czechoslovakia), the second in 1929 in Chernivtsi (at that time Romania). In 1935 was founded Rotary Club in Lviv (at that time Poland). Unfortunately, in 1939 the Clubs ceased operations, and in 1941 were officially suspended by decision of the RI. The Communist party policy in relation to public organizations was not tolerant to the existence of Rotary Clubs. Therefore, the revival of Rotary movement in Ukraine has been started on the times of independent Ukraine.
In 1992, the Charter (document certifying the ownership of the Club to the Association of Rotary International) was received by the Rotary Club of Kyiv, and later - by the Rotary Club of Lviv. In 1994 Rotary Clubs in Uzhgorod and Kharkiv has begun their activities, next year another five Clubs were added, and by 2000 the number of Clubs has grown to 28.
Today in Ukraine there are 49 Clubs in 26 cities and Rotary e-Club. In addition, in many cities youth program Rotaract has been developed, and in Cherkasy and Kharkiv there are Interact Clubs. In several cities there are a few Rotary Clubs, in particular, 7 Clubs in Kyiv and Lviv, 6 – in Kharkiv.
Ukrainian Clubs today under the Rotarian “geography” belong to the District 2230, together with three Byelorussian Rotary Clubs from Minsk